Changes involved updating the supplemental information provided with respect to the use of web beacons.
At JCPenney Your Privacy is a Priority
At JCPenney we seek to provide products, services, and offers of value to you and your family. We use information from our interactions with you and other customers, and from other parties, to help us achieve that goal.
We also recognize and respect your privacy. Accordingly, we have procedures intended to ensure that your personal information is handled in a safe, secure, and responsible manner.
- write to GEMB at P.O. Box 981402, El Paso, TX 79998-1402;
- call 1-877-969-1233 (Puerto Rico 1-800-981-8400; U.S. Virgin Islands 1-800-474-5580); or
- click here to view GEMBs privacy policies in connection with JCPenney credit programs.
The Information We Collect
- Whenever you shop in our stores, through our catalogs, or at jcp.com, we obtain from you the information we need to complete your transaction. This information may include your name, address, telephone number, driver’s license number, birth date, and e-mail address. If you use a credit or debit card or pay by check, it will include your account number.
- If you choose to use or participate in one of our various services, promotions, programs, surveys, or clubs, we may collect additional information. For example, if you sign up for our gift registry service, we will ask you for information concerning the event and your gift selections.
- From your transactions and other interactions with us, we obtain information concerning the specific products or services you purchase or use.
- We also receive information from other companies. For example, if you have a JCPenney credit card, we receive application and account information from GEMB.
Using the Information We Collect
We use the information we collect for various purposes, including:
- to complete your purchase transactions;
- to provide the services you request;
- to send you our catalogs and other offerings;
- to contact you about the status of your store, catalog, or jcp.com orders;
- to identify your product and service preferences, so that you can be informed of new or additional products, services, and
- promotions that might be of interest to you;
- to notify you of product recalls or provide other information concerning products you have purchased; and
- to improve our merchandise selections, customer service, and overall customer shopping experience.
Information We Share With Others
- JCPenney Family: We share the information we collect with affiliated companies and licensees (like the optical and photography departments in JCPenney stores) within the JCPenney family of businesses.
Service Providers: We provide information to other companies, including those within the JCPenney Family, to help us bring you the products and services we offer; and to GEMB and other service providers in connection with the JCPenney credit programs.
- Third-Party Offers: We provide information to responsible outside companies we carefully select so they can let you know about those of their products or services we think might be of interest to you.
- Others: On rare occasions, we may be required to disclose customer information pursuant to lawful requests, such as subpoenas or court orders, or in compliance with applicable laws. Also, if the ownership of all or a part of a business within the JCPenney Family were to change, customer information pertinent to that business operations would likely be transferred to, or licensed for use by, the new owner.
Safeguarding the Information We Collect
Within the JCPenney Family, we protect against unauthorized disclosures by limiting access only to those of our employees who need the information to do their jobs. We also inform all JCPenney employees about their responsibility to protect our customers’ privacy and give them clear guidelines for adhering to our own business ethics and standards and confidentiality policies.
We limit the information we provide to outside companies to only information we believe is appropriate to enable them to carry out their responsibilities under our contracts or to offer you products and services we think might be of interest to you. We contractually require that the information provided be used only for the specifically authorized purpose and that its confidentiality be maintained.
Your Choices Regarding the Use of the Information We Collect
If you prefer that we:
- NOT share information about you with any of the companies outside the JCPenney Family that we have authorized to send you promotional information about their products or services;
- NOT share your JCPenney credit card account history information with affiliated companies within the JCPenney Family:
- please write to us at J.C. Penney Corporation, Inc., P.O. Box 10001, Dallas, TX. 75301-7311, Attention: Corporate Customer Relations
- call us at 1-800-204-3334, or
- email us at email@example.com
- We will make every effort to implement any choice you make as soon as possible.
Notice to California Residents – Your California Privacy Rights
Under California law, a California resident with whom JCPenney has an established relationship has the right to request certain information with respect to the types of personal information JCPenney has shared with third parties for their direct marketing purposes, and the identities of those third parties, within the immediately preceding calendar year, subject to certain exceptions. All requests for such information must be in writing and sent to: J.C. Penney Corporation, Inc., P.O. Box 10001, Dallas, TX 75301; Attention: Corporate Customer Relations.
This same California law permits JCPenney to provide you, in response to your written request, with a cost-free means to choose not to have your information shared rather than providing the above described information. You may exercise that choice by any of the means described above under Your Choices Regarding the Use of the Information We Collect.
You will receive promotional Email communications only if you have asked to receive such material.
Updating Your JCPenney Contact Information or Checking the Status of Your JCPenney Credit Account
You can update or correct your name, address, telephone number, or email address by:
- writing to us at J.C. Penney Corporation, Inc., P.O. Box 10001, Dallas, TX 75301-7311, Attention: Corporate Customer Relations;
- calling us at 1-800-204-3334; or
- emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- You can update or correct your name, address, or telephone number for your JCPenney credit account, or check the status of your account by:
- writing to GEMB at P.O. Box 981402, El Paso, TX 79998-1402;
- calling 1-8777-969-1233 (Puerto Rico 1-800-981-8400; U.S. Virgin Islands 1-800-474-5580); or
- clicking here to access your JCPenney credit card account information on-line. Note: JCPenney Personal Payment Plan Account Information currently is not available on-line.
The Privacy of JCP.com Customers
We use Secure Socket Layering (SSL) technology to encrypt your personal credit or debit card information, including the account number, while it is transmitted over the Internet between your computer and our website servers. SSL is the industry standard technology for secure online transactions. Encryption is a sophisticated method of “scrambling” data.
If unauthorized charges (as determined by your card issuer) are made on your credit or debit card as a result of purchases made on jcp.com utilizing our secure servers, JCPenney will reimburse you for up to $50 of any amounts you are required to pay by the card issuer. Also, under the Fair Credit Billing Act, your credit card provider cannot hold you liable for more than $50 of unauthorized charges on a credit card. Your liability for unauthorized use of a debit card may be higher, but many debit card issuers voluntarily apply the $50 limit to their cards as well.
Remember: In the event of unauthorized use of your credit or debit card, you must promptly notify the card issuer pursuant to its reporting rules and procedures.
Cookies allow us to understand how you clicked to our site and what pages you click on during your visit to our site. Knowing who you are and how you prefer to shop allows us to improve your shopping experience and speed your checkout process. We do not use cookie to track your activity on sites other than those operated by JCPenney.
Accepting cookies through your web browser is your personal choice. You can still shop and purchase from jcp.com even if you set your browser to disable cookies. However, if you choose not to accept cookies, we may not be able to provide you with as exceptional a shopping experience as one that is specifically tailored to your needs.
JCPenney also may use advertising companies to place our advertising at other sites across the Internet. These advertising companies collect anonymous information about your visits to our web site or interaction with our email through the use of “web beacons”. This technology allows them to use information about your visits to this and other web sites to help us develop ads about goods and offers that may be of interest to you. Web beacons are also used by JCPenney to review how visitors to jcp.com navigate the site or interact with our email advertising. Third party companies may be utilized to assist in the collection and analysis of this data, but at no time is your personally identifiable information accessed or shared with other companies through one of these web beacons. If you would like more information about the use of web beacons and the options available to you, please click here.
We collect non-personal information about how users navigate through our web site. We aggregate this statistical information in order to improve our site, and we may share this information with our affiliates or other outside companies. This aggregated information does not include individual names or personal data, so it does not identify you or any other customer.
We do not knowingly collect any personal information from children under the age of 13 on our web site. We will not knowingly collect personal information from teens 13 through 15 without disclosing how the information will be used and notifying the teens that they should obtain parents’ permission prior to submitting any personal information.
Links to Other Sites
please write to us at J.C. Penney Corporation, Inc., P.O. Box 10001, Dallas, TX. 75301-7311, Attention: Corporate Customer Relations; call us at 1-800-204-3334, or email us at email@example.com.